Sunday, March 1, 2020

Getting to Know Harold W. Crawford!


He was the longtime dapper dean of SC State's School of Industrial Education. Dr. Harold Wakeling Crawford (1903-1980) was so well respected that when he died the building where he taught and led for decades was named in his honor.

I have given my students an assignment to write about Crawford, to try to "bring him alive" so we know more about the man behind the building.

I was able to find a good bit of information about Crawford on ancestry.com and the SC State library. See this link for photos of him found in old yearbooks.







To help my students and I with this project I brought in a special speaker on Feb. 26. Dr. William Hine is a retired SC State history professor. He taught here for 40 years and actually knew Harold Crawford!

I am asking my students to use material from the Hine talk in their articles. I audio-recorded his 50-minute talk and have it on the class Blackboard site.

I am also providing two video clips attached here from my YouTube channel.



In this clip (above) Hine talks about the purpose of the "Mechanical Industries" building constructed from 1938-1940.  

In the clip above Hine shares his impressions of Harold Crawford. He says he didn't know him well but has a few observations. Hine says he believes that the 6'2" 200 pound Crawford played football for the Bulldogs. He's more certain he would be an assistant football coach. Hine says back then all the coaches were also professors and others who worked at the school.  


This photo was taken after the talk.  From left: Daryl Hallingquest, Dr. William Hine, Amya Carr, and yours truly, Patrick Harwood. Daryl and Amya are in my Feature Writing class.  

Dr. Hine is the author of this 2018 book about the early days of SC State. It's titled, "South Carolina State University: A Black Land-Grant College in Jim Crow America." 



No comments:

Post a Comment