Sunday, November 12, 2017

Blending Photos to Create "Green Screen" Gems

A favorite assignment among all of the ones I give at SC State is the "Where I Want To Be" project.  It involves using chromakey (or chroma key), a technology technique also commonly called green screen.  The effect is seen all the time on television weather reports.

Here are my two latest "green screen" photography creations, using Adobe Premiere Pro for the process that is pretty easy to achieve if you follow these steps.  It can also be done with video clips.

This a photo I took a few years ago on the Caribbean island of Aruba.

I chose it, one, because it has space on the lower right side to insert an image of yours truly.

And, two, I really want to go back to Aruba someday!  It's so beautiful there!




This is selfie I took in SC State's TV studio which has a green wall for purposes of creating virtual sets for programs created via our Tricaster "studio in a box" device located in the adjacent control room.

This is not the best "green screen" photo because at its bottom we see some black in the lower left corner. It is better to see only green in the background.

But I do have my shades on so this will work well for the Aruba theme!


After bringing in both of the above images into Adobe Premiere Pro and using the steps linked above, I blended my mug into the Aruba backdrop.

Premiere Pro, normally used for video editing, has a camera tool for saving as a jpeg (or other formats) image, so it is perfect for a photo project like this.


Then I added some words to the production.

As a final step, I removed the black border at the top and bottom. For this step, I inserted the above version into Adobe PhotoShop. A sliver of black at the top could not be removed, unfortunately. The crop tool would have cut into the wording.

Note also, the black part at the bottom of my green screen image. I should have been tighter on myself in that selfie.  And there border around my image is too apparent. I may have been standing too close to the green wall.



This is another example I put together. This is the world famous Venus de Milo sculpture at Louvre Museum in Paris.  My family and I had an amazing visit to Paris this past spring. On my BirdsEyeViews blog, I wrote extensively about the things we saw and did. More on our visit to the Louvre can be seen here.

There, we also saw DaVinci's famous Mona Lisa painting!


For my Venus de Milo blending, I used this image with me looking up. I figured it would look good put next to the tall sculpture.


And voila here's the final version!

Click here to see more green screen blending creations, including several from my students.

I have done other green screen posts. View one here.

The Apple iMovie editor can also be used from these types of projects. Check my post here for details. 







This is a new version of this creation I did in March 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment